Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Waiting Game

So, I am now officially referred to the Calgary Fertility Clinic. The wait is 6 months to get in....OMG I'm going to be 42 before I have a kid. I have to be positive though, if I had waited just to get into Edmonton then be referred to Calgary I'd be looking at a year from now. So, I have to give myself credit for taking initiative to see the RE in California, which has definitely sped up this process. I am going to look at these next 6 months as 'Bargain Price Baby', if I do get pregnant we just saved ourselves thousands of dollars, if not then IVF is just around the corner.

I just finished watching the Michael Moore movie 'Sicko'. He painted a picture of the Canadian Universal Health Program as being the epitome of health management. While I do appreciate our system alot, and would not want to have the HMO's like in the United States --- the waitlist thing is just torture. I guess both systems have their merit, but the U.S. system only benefits those with money. I mean luckily I had the means to pay for the tests I needed in California, otherwise I would be waiting, and waiting some more to get these tests done in Canada but they wouldn't cost me anything. So, what's more valuable time or money??? When it comes to that feeling and longing in your heart to finally have your child growing inside, time is definitely worth all the money in the world.

So, as I am dying for this winter to be over for many reasons, I will be patient and hopeful. Everything is going to happen or not happen when it needs to.

2 comments:

  1. I am a Republican who truly appreciated Sicko for many reasons. But above that--I have a question for you.

    Is IVF covered under your insurance? Even in part? I'm simply curious, because here in the states odds are that its not--only a few states mandate any infertility coverage and of those who have the mandate not all are obligated to cover IVF-unfortunately my state is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty,

    No IVF is not covered by my insurance, but some of it (overall cost) must be subsidized by the government because the cost is about $6,000. And the doctor I saw in California charges twice that. We have our Alberta Health Care (government funded), which covers our doctor's visits and care but people in Canada usually have extra health insurance to cover the cost of prescription drugs and other practioners (like massage therapists). Our health insurance does not cover fertility drugs either. So, fertility isn't something that health programs/or insurance want to cover yet.
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete