Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Self-Pitying Blues

I found in my thirties I have been pretty much able to accept myself the way I am. Not so much longing to be perfect and beautiful like I did in my twenties. But the one thing that propels me into the stratosphere of self-loathing is my skin. I have battled with acne for twenty years now. And with all the thousands of dollars I have spent on skin care regimes and medications, the only thing that really helps is the birth control pill. I met my husband three years ago and of course I was on the pill and in a good skin phase of my life, for once. Of course I had scars but I had always had scars and have perfected my make-up application over twenty years. So, he basically got to know me with pretty clear skin.

Now that we have been TTC for a year and a half I have had to go off my beloved pill and the terror of horrible skin had returned. I mean I don't just get the occasional whitehead, but deep cystic acne stuff which is horrible and painful and can be seen from space on my pale white skin.
I know my husband will love me no matter what, but its hard to feel sexy or lovable like this. I would love to be the girl who can just go anywhere without make-up on but I just can't. So, my depression over not getting pregnant is compounded with how I feel about myself, which has also brought on my extra 10 pounds.

And this week, well I my as well just claim my crown as 'Miss Uuggglllyy Canada 2009'. My skin is a mess, I have a horrible cold, two cold sores on my lips, my roots are pretty much 50% grey and need to be redone and my period has arrived which makes me want to scream. I know my problems are minimal compared to most people in this world, but a blog rant is so helpful. I really don't want to be complaining to anyone in person because they always just try to make you look on the brighter side but today is my self-pitying blues day and if I could put it to some cool blues music I would.

6 comments:

  1. Ah honey...when it rains it pours huh?

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I could have written this post word for word for myself. I understand exactly how you feel. I went back on the pill for our wedding because I knew it was the only way I'd have clear skin that day. I have literally had acne since I was 11 and now I'm 32! I have had to visit a Dermatologist while on vacation because I had a huge cyst that was swelling up my entire face. I'm not talking just a few pimples here. It's funny, I referenced this in a post I just did because lupron is helping my skin, I guess because it is suppressing all my hormones. I think back to when we first started trying and I was so worried about how bad my skin was gonna get during pregnancy. That all seems so frivolous now. Even so, I still feel very down about myself because of it. I wish I had more words of encouragement but I just wanted to let you know I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had really bad acne as a teen and get them occasionally as an adult. I've begun using proactive about a few years ago. While it's not going to leave you with perfect skin, it really really controls the breakouts and the large zits. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your support ladies. I have tried proactiv and pretty much everything out there. I'm just starting this new skin care regime (for me) by Murad called Acnecomplex.
    Hopefully, it helps. I feel better today,
    all I can say is if lupron can help my skin I am even more anxious to get the IVF process started now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you! It can only get better in our mid 30's right???? Ack...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there! Have had some success with the Zeno gadget, which is drug-free.

    ReplyDelete