Thursday, April 16, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Sadness and Hello to Hope

Yesterday I took Ruby for a walk around this huge (man made) lake, its about a five minute drive from our house. As I was getting out of the car with Ruby, I heard a distinct sobbing noise. I looked around to see if someone was in trouble. At first, I couldn't tell who it was then I saw her. She was probably in her fifties, she had brassy, short red hair and her face was as red as her hair. I looked intensely at her to figure out why she was in such distress. She was walking to her car alone. Then I noticed she was carrying a small pet kennel, it was empty. In the parking lot, there is a mini mall which has a veterinary office. It finally clicked in my head, that this woman had just put her pet down. And here I was just getting out of my car with my 5 month old puppy.

I wish I could say I was brave enough to run up to that lady and give her some sort of comfort, but I wasn't. Just thinking about the day when I will have to take my Ruby to the Vet for the goodbye trip, was even too much to bare. I saw the women look at me through her car window, and I prayed for her to have comfort and be strong. All of us pet lovers think of our pets as our children - our little kids who always need us even till the end. I hope the red haired lady will be OK, I'm sure her pet was special to her and I know how rough this time can be having to had four dogs put down in my life. Its amazing how much sadness we have in this world, I feel sadness everyday waiting on the opportunity to be pregnant and not having it come to fruition.
I also feel hope, and I hope one day soon the red haired lady and I will both be graced with new children in our lives.

1 comment: