Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Where's My Bumper Sticker?

As I was driving behind a huge truck today, I noticed a bumper sticker on the back. I assume the driver was poking fun at himself because the sticker read,

NICE TRUCK
Sorry about the size of your penis

It got me wondering if I would like to poke fun at myself with the situation I'm in? Not the owner of a large vehicle, but owner of a vacant uterus. Arriving home I quickly googled to see if 'Infertility Paraphernalia' actually exists. Lo and behold, you can get an assortment of t-shirts, not so much bumper stickers displaying your infertility woes. Some of my favorites were the following:

Thinking positive (with picture of a HPT)

Not Pregnant
(but I'll keep you posted)

Infertility Sucks

I'm not as old as my eggs want you to believe


Now would I actually go out and proudly wear these cleverly devised statements on my chest...definitely not. As most of us suffering with IF issues, I prefer to suffer in silence. We want to jump out the window if someone even brings up the issue of if we are pregnant, what's the status, etc. etc. Advertising the fact of my suffering is just not something I could bear. Although, I would like to have more gumption and tackle this with humor (as I do most things in life), its just so difficult. And really, would most people get the joke anyway? You'd want them to laugh but you'd probably end up getting the dreaded pity-face instead. So, would I like to confront my issues on IF with more humor? Absolutely. Am I going to advertise this on my car bumper or chest? Not quite yet. Bumper stickers are hard to get off your bumper, and I hope my situation is not as permanent as the adhesive on the back of that sticker.

3 comments:

  1. Even if we did wear those sentiments on our chest those around STILL would not understand. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your post cracked me up.
    I enjoyed catching up on your story! Thanks for putting it out there!

    ReplyDelete