Monday, November 9, 2009

38 Special


Significance of the number 38
  • Was especially prominent in Norse Mythology. The number was said to represent unnatural bravery, characteristic of the legendary heroes of Norse sagas.

  • The 38th parallel north is pre-Korean War boundary between North Korea and South Korea.

  • Significant in Egyptian mythology, as it was the characteristic number of Anubis, the jackal-headed god of death and mummification. Egyptian pharaohs were often buried with 38 statues of cat guardians, and their sarcophagi were adorned with 38 ankhs. (Which is cool because it reminds me of one of my favorite movies "The Mummy")

  • The number of slots on an American Roulette wheel

  • Name of the southern rock band 38 Special

BUT most importantly 38 is the number I will be turning this Saturday. I will be officially old! And I don't say this because in Wikipedia it refers to everyone over 38 as old. I say this because my RE told me if you are diagnosed with unexplained infertility before the age of 38, well its just unexplained...and they really can't tell you what is wrong. Though here's the kicker, when you turn the magic age of 38 they can just say age-related infertility. I wasn't feeling old until he told me that.

I am going to take the real significance of 38 which appears to be bravery, boundary-breaking, letting it ride, rockin it out and becoming a mummy (although a mommy would be my first preference) and shove this talk of old where it belongs. Hidden in the picture above.


1 comment:

  1. Happy Early Birthday! I'm feeling like you are...turning 35 with that magic diagnosis of "advanced maternal age" Lovely isn't it. Sigh...I say we stop celebrating birthdays--but still get the presents. LOL.

    ReplyDelete