Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dodged Baby Shower for Puppy Class

Last weekend my sister n law was thrown a baby shower for her second child, Harley. It was thrown by some of her friends, but my Mom did most of the cooking. Its not that I didn't want to go, but I had already given my sister n law my present for Harley a few weeks ago because I didn't think there was going to be a shower. So, I get called a week before the shower to be invited by one of her friends. It was the same day as my first puppy class with Ruby.

I definitely love my sister n law and my newest niece but a baby shower is the last thing I want to go to right now. So, I told them I would come later after my class. My mom wasn't very happy with me. Ruby did pretty good at class, she is the youngest and smallest pup there. She is afraid of the other pups, I hope that will change over the next 7 classes. Ruby and I came to the shower at the end, but it really wasn't much of a shower it was more of a open house. There was just eating and opening presents, no games or anything. I guess because all my sister n law's friends now have kids of their own and don't have time to plan elaborate things like everyone usually does with the first baby. Her one friend who planned the shower has three little girls, all less than 3 years old. Isn't that crazy?? Like I need to be around that kind of unabated ramped fertility. I've figured out by now, all old wives tales are crap, being around fertile women does not make you fertile...or I'd be having sextuplets with the amount of pregnancy surrounding me right now.

And there's was no way I wanted to sit around for four hours talking about kids. And having to respond to the usual annoying questions that usually come my way. I guess I am asserting myself in a somewhat passive way (totally my style), but I don't think you should have to subject yourself to these kind of things when you are totally sensitive about anything baby.
I mean its not polite to ask recovering alcoholics to the open bar, now is it. My fur baby Ruby is totally helping keep my mind off the whole baby thing. I'm too preoccupied on if she's peeing in the house to even count down the days till ovulation. Thank you Ruby and your small bladder.

2 comments:

  1. You went...tell your mother that is what matters!

    I commend you!

    I'm so glad Ruby is helping you get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally understandable. this weekend i had to go to two birthday parties. one for my nephew who is 5 years old....he has a younger brother (3 y.o) and a sister that was due two days ago. The other party was for my cousin who had a child on Dec. 8, 2007 and another one on Dec. 4, 2008. go figure! I was surrounded by babies. I've personally decided to skip the birthday parties from now on...Christmas and this past weekend were too much for me since I've had 2 m/cs and am waiting to start TTC again. So I completely understand your need to skip the baby shower.

    ReplyDelete