Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ruby Update

Well, being a puppy mother is tougher than I remember. But last time I had a puppy I was living at home, so it was my dad who got up in the middle of the night to let puppy out. Now its me, and watching little Rubster like a hawk so there are no 'accidents' is exhausting. She is a pretty good pup so far and has caught on super well to the bathroom rules. From day one we headed outside in the -30 degrees Celsius weather, which at first she looked at me like I was a sadistic torturer. But now three days later, she is already used to it, and pees outside, like there's no tomorrow.

She already responds to her name and I have taught her to sit. She loves her kennel still but wants to spend more time with us than sitting in there, which means she is bonded with her new mommy and daddy. She likes to snuggle in right around my neck when she's falling asleep with me on the couch. Getting her to stop the puppy biting is going to be an ongoing struggle, but she is getting a bit better. Now I just need to get both of us on a good night time schedule, I've only had to let her out once each night, which I think is pretty good. Getting up in the night really sucks, but it won't last forever. Its way to cold to go on any walks, but we will be going to puppy class next weekend already, so I'm going to get her use to her leash next week.

Ruby is such a great pup, and just what I needed right now. I haven't thought about babymaking in a week --- lack of sleep. Plus, having a little somebody to cuddle and love is wonderful. Dogs are so great, they give you all the love you give them back in spades.

3 comments:

  1. We need new pictures of the Rubster :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree. puppies are perfect distraction for us non-baby mommies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that Ruby's settling in has been so much fun (even if it's a bit tiring) ... and I hope Christmas season wasn't too painful with all of the comments ... I can only imagine how it can get! see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete